23 Different Resolutions Instead of Weight Loss
As we launch into 2023, many people will resolve to lose weight. Unfortunately, that can be a negative focus.
First, many factors can affect our day-to-day weight such as fluid retention, meal timing, hormones, and bowel movements.
Secondly, as our body composition changes and we build more muscle, sometimes the scale registers an increase in weight due to muscle mass, which is a positive outcome but can affect an individual’s psyche.
Third, if we are doing all the right things to improve our overall health and fitness, but gain a few pounds due to external factors, it can cause people to get demoralized and give up. That is the last thing we want to do.
With all of this in mind, consider one of these 23 goals you could set instead of weight loss. Enjoy a healthy, fit, and strong 2023.
23 Resolutions (Other than Weight Loss)
- Strength train 3x/week.
- Get 5,000-10,000 steps per day.
- Take a Yoga and/or Barre class 2x/week.
- Add a balance movement every day.
- Take up indoor rock-climbing.
- Register for a fun run/walk.
- Drink 80 ounces of water per day.
- Do a triathlon, even if it’s a relay with friends, family or co-workers.
- Get a massage once per month.
- Consume half of your body weight in grams of protein every day.
- Schedule a walk with a friend, family or co-worker weekly.
- Be able to plank for 1 minute.
- Hire a trainer to oversee your fitness program.
- Learn a new activity, do a hike you’ve never experienced or take a new class.
- Be able to do 10 full or assisted pull-ups.
- Eat a vegetable at every meal.
- Commit to a Dry January or reduce your alcohol to a couple days/week.
- Be able to do 10 pushups (on toes or knees).
- Meditate or deep breathing for 1 minute per day.
- Set a timer on your laptop to stand and move every hour.
- Be able to get off the floor without using your hands.
- Try to fast for 13 consecutive hours per day.
- Establish a sleep routine that has you in bed for 7-8 hours/night with no interruptions.
Instead of setting weight loss goals, establish your goals to be the behaviors necessary to enhance your overall health.
It’s a much more positive focus instead of obsessing over your weight. Ask yourself which actions you can take today that will help you ‘Focus on ME in ’23!”
Yours in health & fitness,