Spring Time Tune-Up
Spring is just around the corner and as the days get longer and the weather gets nicer, it inspires many to ramp things up and do a little health and fitness makeover or Spring Cleaning for your body so to speak.
Here’s a few easy tips that you can slowly adopt over the next month so you start to look and feel your best for spring and summer.
- Start by walking every day. Set a goal of gradually getting to 3 miles o
f walking every day or 5000 steps. Feel free to mix it up and incorporate other types of cardio movement including classes, biking, cycling, hiking, running but at the very least, commit to walking every day.
- Lift some heavy things 2x/week for about 30 minutes. Strength training is the true fountain of youth! Movements like squats, lunges, step ups, pushups, pullups, core conditioning and other functional strength moves are great.
- Lengthen while you strengthen – Finish each workout with some release and lengthening to assure we maintain our mobility and flexibility and help to prevent getting injured which can put a damper on our progress.
- Be more active when you’re not exercising. Park further away, take the stairs more often, sit more than stand…If you start moving more in your life, then you won’t have to spend hours in the gym every week! Consciously choose the more active option whenever you can!
- Get enough sleep (7-8 hours per night). Sleep is when your body recovers and repairs. Plus research suggests that a lack of sleep triggers appetite and fat gain.
- Control and manage your stress levels. Outline methods that help you to reduce your stress and practice them regularly. Stress is also linked to increased appetite and weight gain.
- Stay Hydrated – Drink 10—8ounce glasses of water each day. Keep your system cleansed and hydrated by drinking water before and with each meal and snack.
- Eat a variety of fruits and veggies – Consume 5 different fruits and 5 different veggies each day. Variety is key to getting all the nutrients you need.
- Eat a balanced diet that is high in fiber content. Every macro-nutrient is critical including protein, carbs and fats. Try to consume a ½ cup of beans every day for optimal health and conditioning.
- Practice Portion Control. Portion control is critical to optimal health. Try to eat small meals/snacks every 3-4 hours.
- Avoid eating anything high in calories 3 hours before bedtime.
- Eliminate any unhealthy temptations from your environment (work, home, car) and replace with healthy alternatives that make adhering to a nutrition plan easier.
- Grocery shop at least once per week to stock up on healthy choices and fresh fruits and veggies and take the time to prep your meals for the week.
Take one initiative from the above list that you are not currently doing that you believe would provide the biggest impact to your overall health and fitness and focus on that. Once you have made it a daily habit, then focus on the next item. Soon you will be looking and feeling your best!
Yours in health & fitness,
Note: As an avid Columbian reader, you can redeem a 2 week pass at her world-class training studio to help get you started. Contact 360.574.7292 for more details.
Join us for the….
COUVE CLOVER RUN – 3, 7 & 10 MILES – March, 26th 2017 RUN, GIVE BACK & PARTY AT MAIN EVENT AND OTHER DOWNTOWN PUBS! We will make you earn your post-event party by running or walking 3, 7 or 10 miles, but it will be off the charts hosted by Main Event and other downtown Vancouver Pubs & Breweries.