Daily Doubles to Shred for Summer!
The sun is shining and we’re all starting to get excited for summer! With that comes the realization that we don’t have a ton of time to lean down before we are all sporting bathing suits and minimal clothing.
If you’re looking for a way to ramp up your exercise program to shed some winter weight, try Daily Doubles. Just like it sounds, Daily Doubles involve working out twice in one 24-hour period which is one way to take your fitness to a whole new level and get in great shape right in time for summer.
Here’s a list of benefits to this approach and some guidelines for giving it a try for the next month.
Benefits of Daily Doubles:
- Maximize fat loss by increasing caloric expenditure
- Rev your metabolism twice per day
- Increase muscle strength and endurance due to an increase in training volume
- Incorporate more variety to your training addressing all fitness components including cardio, muscle strength and endurance, flexibility since you’ll be training more
- Mixing it up will provide a new stimulus to your workout routine causing your body to respond
Tips for incorporating Daily Doubles:
- Variety is Key. If you do cardio in the morning, try muscle strength and conditioning or Yoga in the evening. If you do high intensity in the morning, go low intensity in the evening. If you do a high impact in the morning, go for a low impact activity in the evening. If you work your lower body in the morning, train your upper body in the evening.
- Schedule. Try to give yourself at least 4-6 hours in between your two separate workouts to give your body some time to recover. On average, keep your workouts shorter than 45 minutes to minimize exhaustion.
- Listen to your body. If you notice yourself overly tired, lacking motivation, excessively fatigued and/or getting sick, reduce your overall training volume, give yourself more rest and back off on the Daily Doubles.
- Prioritize your workouts. If you find yourself struggling in your second workout of the day, schedule your more challenging workouts first and lighter workouts later in the day.
- Set yourself up to succeed with Daily Doubles. When you are incorporating two workouts in one day, you will need to make sure you are getting enough sleep, hydration and great nutrition!
- Daily Doubles not Every day – You don’t need to do Daily Doubles every day. Maybe start with a couple on week one and build from there still allowing some days with only one workout or complete rest days.
- Find Balance– Daily Doubles are great for ramping things up and breaking through a plateau, but it can lead to exhaustion and burnout if you do it all the time. Try it for two weeks, then take a week off and then go for another two weeks. Or perhaps slowly wean down to just one or two Daily Doubles on a consistent basis.
As the days are getting longer and warmer, and you’re ready to ramp up your workout routine, try Daily Doubles as a very effective technique to stimulate some great results!
Yours in health & fitness,
Note: As an avid Columbian reader, you can redeem a 2 week pass at her world-class training studio to help get you started. Contact 360.574.7292 for more details.
Join us for the RUN TO REMEMBER WASHINGTON! Sunday May 19th in Downtown Washougal, WA (just across the river from Portland Oregon)
The 4th Annual Run to Remember WA will honor the brave men and women who have or are currently serving in our Armed Forces and remember those who have given the ultimate sacrifice fighting for our freedom. The Half Marathon, 10K, 5K and Memorial Mile running and walking event will benefit various Military Organizations.