Braised Beef Shoulder Roast with Root Vegetables
Our Paleo-family-of-five took the plunge and purchased our first 1/4 cow from Carman Ranch. We filled our freezer with 100% grass-fed, GMO-free, local beef — an ample supply of roast, steak & ground beef — for under $6.00 a pound!
What a deal!! But, what does one do with all these different cuts of beef? Steak & ground beef are simple enough to prepare, ……but roasts?? That sounds tough.
If you’re anything like me, maybe you’re slightly intimidated by roasts. I often find myself staring through the meat case at Whole Foods, thinking, “What would I do with that overly large hunk of meat?!”
Now that my freezer is full of ’em — It’s time to face my fear.
I’ve found the key to a delicious roast is a slow low cook — using a method called braising. Braising uses a dry heat (stove top sear) and a moist heat (simmering with bone broth, seasoning — maybe some wine) over a period of time, to break tough meat into tender bite-sized morsels. Sound good? Just wait till you pair it with delectable braised beef sauce and root vegetables.
*GROCERY LIST — makes 8 servings*
3-4 lb 100% grass-fed beef arm roast (one of the cuts we recieved from our 1/4 cow, out of Carman Ranch)
1 TBSP fresh garlic, chopped
salt & pepper
2 yellow onion, chopped
2 cups beef bone broth (http://paleoinapinch.tumblr.com/post/40269054376/bone-broth-making-a-timely-
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp thyme
6 cups root veggies, cut into large pieces — I used: 1 yam, 1 sweet potato, 2 bundles of rainbow carrots and 2 leek stalks
*COOKING INSTRUCTIONS — prep time, 15 minutes — bake time, 2.5 hours (worth every minute!!)*
1) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Season roast with garlic, salt and pepper. (if you have time, let stand at room temperature 20-30 minutes).
3) In a large dutch oven skillet, warm olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove roast and set aside. Add onions and sauté 3-5 minutes, add a drizzle of olive oil, if needed.
4) Place roast on onions, add beef bone broth, season with parsley & thyme and bring to a low boil. Remove from heat, cover with lid and bake in a 350 degree oven for 1.5 hours.
5) Add root vegetables to the roast, cover and continue to bake 45 – 60 minutes or until veggies are tender.
6) Slice roast and place on a large bed of root veggies. Pour the delectable braised beef sauce over meat and serve.
From my kitchen, to yours ….. when things get tough, just braise!!…and ENJOY!!