Sweetly Spiced Beef Short Ribs, slow cooked and served over a Bed of Cabbage and Apple Slaw with a side of Brussels and Bacon
Happy New Year!! Let’s get it started with a BANG!! I’m talkin’ sweetly spiced beef short ribs, a side of slaw and the most amazing Brussels sprouts. EVER.
If you’re new to Paleo or resolving to hit it hard in January, this meal is for you! A few simple ingrediants: meat, veggies, spices, olive & coconut oil, wine, vinagar & honey — that’s ALL you need!! Notice anything? Nothing comes in a box — it’s all real food!! HEYYY!!
Get excited, folks! Your culinary skills are about to go through the roof!!
3-4 lbs 100% grass-fed beef short ribs
Salt & pepper
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp fresh garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. dried mustard
1/2 tsp. dried orange peal
1/2 tsp. paprika
Side Dish of Cabbage & Apple Slaw
1 TBSP coconut oil
1/2 head green cabbage, sliced
1 apple, sliced into strips (I used tart Granny Smith)
salt and pepper to taste
Side Dish of Brussels & Bacon
6 strips of bacon, cut into large bite-sized pieces, bacon grease reserved
6-8 cups Brussels sprouts
1 cup onion, chopped into large pieces
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1) In a large pan, over medium-high heat, warm olive oil. Brown ribs on each side, turning every minute or two, sprinkling each side as you go, with salt and pepper. (I browned mine in two batches.)
2) Remove ribs from pan and place in crockpot.
3) Toss onions into pan, sauté a few minutes in remaining oil over medium high heat. Spoon onions over ribs.
4) In a separate bowl mix together remaining ingredients. Pour sauce over ribs, cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
5) Prep brussles and bacon an hour before serving. Brown bacon over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, set aside, do not discard bacon grease. Steam brussels 5-7 minutes, chop ends and discard loose outer pieces. Toss brussles in a 9×13 baking dish, with onion, bacon, bacon grease, rosemary, thyme, salt & pepper. Stir together and roast in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
6) Prep cabbage and apple slaw 20 minutes before serving. Melt coconut oil in a large stir fry pan over medium-high heat. Toss in cabbage and apples, sauté 5-7 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
From my kitchen, to yours …. CHEERS!! to healthy grubbin’ in 2013!!!