Most dogs love food, and what you eat, they want. Sharing some things are fine, however, dogs do have some limits that you should know about. Some foods can be very dangerous to dogs. They will pick up almost anything off the counter, out of the trash or when outside. Pets can eat something that’s hazardous when you least expect it. Here are a few you foods you should be warned about.

ALCOHOL also know as ethanol. Dogs are far more sensitive to ethanol than humans are. Even ingesting a small amount of a product containing alcohol can cause significant intoxication. Dogs may be exposed to alcohol left unattended. Beer, wine or a milky alcoholic drink may seem tasty for pets to drink, not knowing of the harm it could cause them. They can become disorientated and may loose coordination or start vomiting. In severe cases some pets could have seizures go into a coma or suddenly death may occur. If your dog is drunk and can’t stand he should be monitored by a vet until he recovers. Please keep your alcohol out of reach of your pets for safety.

AVOCADOS, all parts leaves, fruit, seeds and bark may contain persin which is known to be toxic to pets. The store brands contain the most toxic varieties, some can have different degrees of the toxin. This can be more toxic to other animals not just dogs and cats. Most dogs and cats will have tummy issues. However, most pets will not require emergency treatment unless they ate a bunch of it. If a horse eats avocados, it can die from respiratory distress or other complications.

BONES: Everyone has heard the term give a dog a bone, well you might want to reconsider that. All bones, no matter what kind can potentially be dangerous to your pet. Bones can cause a serious choking hazard and have been known to cause fatalities. While they say a raw beef bone won’t hurt, sadly it just might. Never feed them chicken or pork bones as they are considered brittle and will splinter. Beef bones are safer, but all bones can break into little chips as your pet eats them. Pets tend to love them so much that they will try to swallow them whole sometimes. If you must feed them bones make it beef and watch over them closely. When it gets small take it away so it doesn’t get stuck in pets throat and hope it doesn’t get stuck in the intestinal tract.

BREAD DOUGH: Raw bread dough has live yeast and if ingested, can multiply. This causes the stomach to expand and produce alcohol that can be absorbed. This can be a form of alcohol intoxication. Leaving those cinnamon rolls on the counter can be danger if they can reach it. Dogs can have seizures, bloating of the stomach and may be disorientated. In severe cases, coma can occur. They should be closely monitored by your vet until they get better.

CHOCOLATE intoxication is common around certain holidays. Chocolate contains the chemical methylxanthines, which is very toxic to some animals. Any time dogs have access to chocolate products it can be dangerous. This would include anything containing coco powder including baked goods. Dark chocolate being the strongest, it can be the most dangerous if ingested. If your pet has gotten into chocolate see your vet immediately. Keep candy and treats away from your dogs.

CORN ON THE COB is also a dangerous food for dogs and can potentially be fatal. Corn cobs can cause intestinal obstruction and are not digestible. Intestinal blockage can be painful to your pet and if left untreated can be fatal. Also some pets have allergies to corn and should be keep away from any dog food that contains corn. Best to not feed them corn on the cob and foods that may have corn products.

GARLIC and ONIONS: Members of the onion family contain compounds that can damage red blood cells if ingested by your pet. Garlic can be more toxic than onions; the stronger the smell the more toxic it can be. The concentrated forms of garlic and onions (such as onion soup or garlic powder) is the worse for dogs and can send them into toxic shock. Generally you won’t know for three to five days until the damage to the red blood cells comes in to play. In severe cases, your pet may need a blood transfusion. If your pet has orange or dark urine they should go to the vet right away.

GRAPES: Raisins and fruit seeds can be associated with the development of kidney failure. Some pets have no issues with grapes or raisins, while others can go into complete shock. Usually within 12 hours of ingesting them you will see signs of toxicosis. Some pits from fruit can also be deadly. Prompt treatment is recommended. It is best to skip the grapes or raisins. Make sure to keep the fruit seeds and pits out of reach, if you want to keep them safe.

HOPS used for brewing beer have been associated with potentially life-threatening signs in dogs who have ingested them. Both fresh and cooked hops have been implicated in poisoning dogs. Affected dogs develop an uncontrollably high body temperature (often greater than 108 degrees Fahrenheit), which results in damage to and failure of multiple organ systems. Prompt veterinary intervention is necessary to prevent death in these dogs.

MACADAMIA NUTS, Almonds, Walnuts, etc. Surprisingly, many different types of nuts are generally considered dangerous foods for dogs. Mixed tree nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, pistachios and Brazil nuts, can be contaminated with low levels of the poison Aflatoxin, which comes from a mold. These levels are considered safe for human consumption, but is extremely toxic to dogs. As little as six macadamia nuts can do harm to your pet. It causes severe issues with pets liver function. Nuts generally have a high phosphorus content which also known to cause bladder stones in dogs. Walnuts can cause gastroenteritis in dogs. However peanuts are generally considered safe for dogs. Peanut butter is somewhat controversial in that it is also known to cause skin allergies in some pets.

MOLDY FOOD has toxins that can cause life-threatening reactions in pets. Dogs don’t know better and get into nuts or fruit decaying in the yard. The smells of a trash can will attract them also. Best to put the moldy items straight in a waste can that is out of reach. Do not try to feed them leftovers from last week just throw them out.

MUSHROOMS (wild ones) depending on the species, can be very dangerous for dogs. In the worst cases dogs can die within three to seven days of eating them. If your pet has ingested mushrooms you should take a sample to the vet for identification. Store them in a paper bag with a moist towel. Symptoms include bloody diarrhea, vomiting, fever, abdominal pains and rapid heart beat. This could last about 24 hours. The final phase occurs a few days later when kidney failure sets in dogs may slip into a coma. Sadly for most cases this is terminal and dogs typically die within seven days. Dog poisoning by wild mushrooms may vary depending on the type of mushroom. Don’t take a chance if ingested see a vet right away.

XYLITOL is a sweetener that is used in lots of sugar-free items. If your pet ingests it they can have severe drop in blood sugar levels. Your pet can become disorientated and have seizures within 30 minutes of ingesting products containing xylitol. Sometimes signs may be delayed for several hours. Most will develop liver failure, which can be fatal. All pets who may have ingested xylitol should be examined by a veterinarian immediately.


Carole Bigwood

My name is Carole Bigwood I am an avid animal lover. Avid animal lover of all shapes and sizes. I am the one who breaks for a squirrel or stops to save a lost pet. Yep, I have a leash and treats on me at all times. I can't wait to share some great rescue stories and some need to know health and safety tips for pets. Some of you may have seen one of my fashion shows for rescues I have every year. For years now I have been designing fashions for pets at My runway models are from local rescues and a few special guest pets. Always striving to make them as cute as can be so they will find a family of their own. My reward is to learn how many found homes afterwards. We have some great rescues in the NW. Being raised around pets livestock and little critters has given me a challenge that is rewarding to say the least. My genuine love of animals, has given me a vast knowledge of everything pet related. While my focus will be pet health related and rescues in our area, I look forward to sharing stories and articles on health and rescues that may come in handy. Making a the world a safe place for animals and humans alike. Looking forward to sharing my stories with fellow animal lovers everywhere.

Scroll to top