ACORN SQUASH STUFFED WITH SPICED CHICKEN SAUSAGE AND APPLES
I love this time of year. I love the brilliant colors that cling to the trees and litter the ground with fiery reds and canary yellows. I love the sound one single crunchy leaf makes when you step on it.
Walk into a grocery store and you’re treated to a similar color scheme. Bright red cranberries, aromatic oranges, apples splashed with vibrant colors, hearty greens and an array of squash draped in shades of fall.
There is beauty in every season. Pause. Take a second to breathe it in.
I recently experienced one of these deep breath moments. My husband was out of town hunting, it was just me and the kids for the weekend. I stood in my kitchen, staring into my depleted fridge, wondering what I could possibly throw together that would be nutritious and eatable.
I pulled out the following random ingredients, pushed my sleeves up and exhaled. Less than an hour later, my kiddos and I sat down to a beautiful fall inspired Paleo meal of squash, greens, apples and sausage spiced with warm flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg.
2 Acorn Squash, halved and deseeded
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
½ Green Bell Pepper, chopped
2 lbs. Spiced Chicken Apple Sausage, ground (I found mine at
2 Apples, chopped into rather large pieces
4 Leaves Kale, chopped
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place halved acorn squash, flesh side down – skin side up, and bake 45 minutes. (skin is not eatable)
2) In a large frying pan, sauté bell pepper and onion in olive oil over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
3) Add sausage to frying pan, breaking up into small pieces.
4) Cook 10-15 minutes or until sausage in cooked all the way through.
5) Toss in apples and kale, cook two minutes more until soft and warm.
6) To serve; place cooked acorn squash, skin side down on plate and fill with sausage and apple mixture.
Seasons change. Embracing them and allowing ourselves to grow can result in beautiful things.
From my kitchen, to yours… Enjoy!