Toxic Algae Alert
A health advisory has been issued regarding toxic algae found in certain lakes and reservoirs in Oregon.
Children and animals are highly susceptible to the toxin that the algae releases. There have been reported dog deaths due to contact with this toxin, and death can occur 4-24 hours after exposure.
If you see odd-colored, thick, and/or foamy areas in the water, please keep your pets and children out of the water.
If your dog comes into contact with algae, rinse him off well with clean water and don’t allow him to lick his fur. If you find your dog drooling, staggering, vomiting, or having a seizure, call your veterinarian and take him in for treatment immediately!
For a list of those bodies of water in Oregon found to contain toxic algae, and a complete list of symptoms of exposure, click here.
For Clark County, visit the county website for information on any beach closures. You can also call Clark County Public Health (360) 397-8428 ext. 7275, for information on a specific body of water.
Keep in mind that not all bodies of water are monitored for toxic algae, so always do your own surveillance.