Day After Report: Week 3, 2011

The Day After Report is brought to you today by the number 40.

That’s the margin needed to start the running clock this season in Washington high school football — even against Oregon teams who play in Washington.

Union did that Thursday, going up 41-0 over Westview of Beaverton, and the running clock began with around six minutes left in the third quarter.

I bring this up because, quite frankly, we have some really good teams in Southwest Washington, and, unfortunately, a lot of teams that are struggling.

Camas still has four league games remaining against teams with a combined record of 2-8. One of those wins was a six-point victory over another of these lower-tier teams. 
Now, one of Camas’ opponents can score a lot of points, so maybe that team can hang with the Papermakers. But the other three teams, well, let’s be realistic. No one expects Camas to have any difficulty in those games.

Over in the 4A ranks, Skyview just got the running clock against Heritage. The Storm, the defending 4A Greater St. Helens League champions, needed overtime to beat third-place Heritage last season. Battle Ground has shown improvement, but will it be enough to compete with Skyview? Evergreen had its best showing of the season this week, yet still lost by three scores. 
Then there’s Union, the second-place team last year. Still appears Union and Skyview are headed for a Week 9 showdown. But as far as the other three league games? Well, no one would be surprised to see the running clock again, especially now that the margin is 40 — from 45 a year ago.

Jim Goss, who was the referee for Thursday’s Union-Westview game, has already officiated three games this season with the running clock.

Here are the instructions for use of the running clock rule, from the Evergreen Football Officials Association’s Web site:
“For all classifications except 1B, the game clock shall run continuously for the remainder of the game except for an official’s time-out, a charged team time-out, time between quarters, or a score. Also, once we begin the running clock, we stay with it regardless of the score differential.”

Clarification: The running clock begins in the second half. If a team is up 42-0 in the second quarter, regular game play is used until after halftime.

On Thursday, there was a little confusion as to when the clock would run. And it was not the official’s fault.

After Union scored to make it 41-0 in the third quarter, the running clock was not supposed to begin until after the ensuing kickoff. No official asked for the clock to wind, but a Union coach gave the motion from the sideline to the clock operator for the running clock.

Now, my guess is the coach was trying to remind the crew that it would, indeed, be a running clock on the kickoff. But the clock crew took it as a sign to start the clock right then.

Some 40 seconds ran off before Goss noticed. He stopped the clock. Rather than take the time to find out how much time went off, he just decided to go with it. No one from Westview was complaining, after all.

Later in the game, with Union facing a fourth-down play, the Titans decided to take a delay of game penalty prior to punting. Goss stopped the clock to administer the penalty. There was at least one observer at the game who wondered why the clock was stopped in that situation.

Goss said administering a penalty is considered an official’s timeout. Plus, officials have the discretion to start the clock again at the next snap, to prevent stalling tactics. 

He made the right call. If the team that was winning could continuously get delay of game penalties without the clock stopping, then there would never be any need to snap the ball the rest of the night.

There has been some discussion among officials about stopping the clock on first downs to move the chains. Under normal circumstances, that is an official’s timeout. Goss said he just wants to make sure all of the officials in Southwest Washington are consistent.

Those officials might get a lot more practice at the running clock this year, too.

Now, on to the game notes …

The Papermakers used a fake punt to end River’s momentum, then went on to post the 24-point win.

Um, never mind?
Columbia River’s opening kickoff went out of bounds, giving Camas the option of taking the ball at its 35-yard line or making Columbia River kick the ball again after a 5-yard penalty. Camas said re-kick. Columbia River said OK. The next kickoff was muffed when the two deep backs had a communication problem. Columbia River recovered the ball and scored five plays later for a quick 6-0 lead.

Did you see that catch?
An amazing catch by Zach Eagle set up Camas’ second touchdown of the night. 
Quarterback Tony Gennaro, facing a third-and-7 play from River’s 39-yard line, launched a pass downfield that appeared to be going just a bit too far downfield. Yet Eagle kept chase and dove for it at the perfect time, hauling in the ball and skidding into the end zone. The official ruled that he hit the ground at the 1-yard line before his slide.
“I had no idea where I was on the field,” Eagle said. “I just left my feet for it. I tucked it and made sure I held on to it.”
Eagle did not seem disappointed at all that he didn’t get the touchdown. He was thrilled with the fantastic catch.
Genarro cashed in on a quarterback sneak on the next play for a 17-6 Camas lead.
Oh, and you can see a picture of that catch. The Columbian’s Zachary Kaufman captured Eagle in mid-flight:   

The numbers:
Camas ended up with 368 yards of offense. Two of the touchdowns came on fourth-down plays that went for a combined 68 yards. One of those plays was a 42-yard run against the special teams on a fake punt. Statistically, that fake punt goes as rushing yards for the offense. … Camas had a balanced attack, rushing for 186 yards and throwing for 182. “We had some production on offense,” Camas coach Jon Eagle said. “We made some plays.” … Columbia River ended up with 234 yards of offense, 177 on the ground.

The end:
The Papermakers did not make any friends at Columbia River with a touchdown pass in the final minute of the game. Emotions were running high in the post-game hand shake. At least one River coach was visibly angry.
Camas coach Jon Eagle said his team will play for all 48 minutes and the Chieftains were playing to stop the run in that situation.
Columbia River coach John O’Rourke: “It’s our responsibility to play defense and keep the score down.”
There were a few incidents during the game that could have caused bruised feelings. Some pushing and shoving and trash talking, and a lot of finger-pointer. There were two unsportsmanlike penalties and one ejection. 

Titans make Westview pay for first-half mistakes.

Thank you, thank you very much:
Here is a list of how Westview’s first six possessions ended — 1) fumble. 2) fumble. 3) punt. 4) interception. 5) punt. 6) interception.
Here is a list how Union’s first six possessions ended — 1) touchdown. 2) touchdown. 3) field goal. 4) touchdown. 5) punt. 6) touchdown.
Notice something? Union scored four touchdowns off the four turnovers. Union got a field goal and a punt when Westview punted.
“They gave us opportunities, and we just took advantage of them,” Union coach Cale Piland said. 

Getting better:
The Titans opened the year with a loss at Bothell, then a victory over Enumclaw. In the Week 2 game, Enumclaw scored first before the Titans got the next 49. That means the Titans scored 90 consecutive points before Westview scored two meaningless touchdowns in the second half Thursday night.
“It was another step forward for us tonight,” Piland said. “We’re trying to improve every week. If we do that, by the end of the year we’ll be a pretty good football team.”

Linebacker U:
In four seasons of football, the Union Titans already have a who’s who of linebackers. Taylor Nelson was the two-time Columbian All-Region player of the year. Zak Browning was the player of the year last season. And two other Union linebackers have been named to the All-Region team.
The next set of linebackers has arrived, and Matt Reeves led the charge Thursday night. He had a tackle-for-loss on the first play from scrimmage, and he also ended the half with another tackle-for-loss. (By the way, in the game story, it was an 8-yard loss, that first play. Turns out, it was a 9-yard loss. Sorry about that, Matt.)
“There are some great expectations because of guys like Taylor Nelson and Zak Browning,” Reeves said. “I have to step up because we’re a new group of linebackers. I have to set the tone.”

The numbers:
Union finished with 285 yards of offense, but remember, this was a running clock game. The Titans had 233 yards at halftime and only needed a 39-yard drive for the touchdown to put them up by more than 40 points. After that, it was run up the middle a few times and prepare for Week 4. … Westview was held to 159 yards of offense, including 29 rushing yards. The Wildcats had 56 yards in the first half.

The Storm scored three touchdowns in each of the first two quarters to make it a running clock for the second half.

Those flags are back:
Officials used blue flags on Friday night to raise awareness for prostate cancer research. But in one sequence in the Skyview-Heritage game at McKenzie Stadium, maybe the officials should have used white flags.
On Skyview’s first offensive possession of the game, the Storm’s Reilly Henderson had a 22-yard reception to give the Storm a first-and-10 at the Storm 46-yard-line.
Just before the ball was snapped for the next play, a flag was thrown by the side judge, who attempted to blow the play dead. However, no one else on the field saw or heard the official and the play went on, with Skyview’s Parker Henry running for an 11-yard gain.
The two teams lined up for the next play at the Heritage 43 and the first-down chains were moved before the side judge could notify the referee that a penalty had been called.
After being notified, the referee signaled offside against Heritage. Unlike pro and college football, in high school football, the play should be blown dead when the defense is offside.
But because the play was run and the chains were moved, the officials struggled to find the original line of scrimmage. They moved the ball back and forth. Eventually, the ball was placed at the Skyview 43 and the chains were moved to give the Storm a first-and-5.
So, basically, Skyview was penalized three yards because Heritage was offside.
On a side note, a contributing factor in all this mayhem could have been the powder blue flags the officials were using.
During all the discussion and moving of the ball, the blue flag thrown by the side judge sat at the 46-yard line. But because the flag was lying near one of the sidelines and was not as visible as the normal yellow flags, the officials didn’t use the flag to position the ball properly.
In the end, Henry made the whole issue a moot when, on the very next play, he broke free for a 57-yard touchdown run. If the ball had been placed properly, it would have been a 49-yard touchdown run. So Henry ended up with an extra eight yards rushing on the night.
You can watch the sequence from highlights supplied by It comes on Skyview’s first offensive possession of the game. You’ll see Henderson’s 22-yard catch-and-run to the Skyview 46, Henry’s 11-yard run from the Skyview 46 to the Heritage 43 (the nullified play), then watch Henry run from the Skyview 43 on a 57-yard TD run.

(Note from Paul Valencia: Tim Martinez was at this game and saw that sequence. I was at Thursday’s game at McKenzie. The blue flags need to go. We need to find a different way to raise awareness. A couple years ago, one crew did away with the blue flags at halftime. The flags are difficult to see, especially on McKenzie’s old turf. That field has some blue lines on it for the soccer configuration. When the flag lands on those lines, forgetaboutit. At least five times on Thursday, the radio crew from Beaverton tried to find the flags but could not see them.)

Starting QBs, where art thou?

Skyview starting quarterback Kieran McDonagh was banged up from a Week 2 injury and was held out of action against Heritage. Reports were that if this were a playoff game, he would have played. Backup Jordan Berni completed 6 of 9 passes for 121 yards and two touchdowns.
Heritage had to have its sophomore QB come in the game early in the first quarter when starter Joseph Cooper went down with an apparent ankle injury.
Many people were impressed with the youngster’s performance, including Skyview linebacker Parker Henry.
“(Loren Standiford) came in to this high intensity game with some great passing moves,” he said. “I thought for just coming in he seemed very prepared.”
Standiford completed 15 of 25 passes for 156 yards and a score.

The Thunder went up big early, then held off Prairie’s rally to record the 3A GSHL win.

Take the good with the bad:
Mountain View coach Adam Mathieson saw some good things from his defense in the Thunder’s 44-28 win over Prairie, and he saw some things that needed some work.
On one hand, the Thunder shut down Prairie’s ground game, holding the Falcons to a negative-13 yards rushing, including six sacks of quarterback Colin Seitz. They also forced four punts and three turnovers.
But then there were the 345 yards passing by Seitz, including a couple of long touchdown pass plays. 
Mathieson said some of the blame comes from having to prepare for three different types of offenses in the first three weeks.
“In Week 1, we had to prepare for the Wing-T (running game of Evergreen),” Mathieson said. “Then Camas has a running attack with a lot of play-action passes. And then Prairie throws a lot in that spread offense. That’s three different styles in three weeks. But as the season goes on, we’ll start to face offenses that we’ve seen before, and then we’ll get more consistency on defense.”

No pain, no gain:
Mountain View didn’t have to throw much in its win over Prairie, and that may have been good news for quarterback Riley O’Dell.
O’Dell was 3 for 6 for 80 yards and one interception. All three of his completions went to Sterling Reynolds.
But on two pass plays, O’Dell was hit hard by the Prairie defense.
On one play, O’Dell threw off his back foot to get away from the pressure. As he threw, he was driven back and fell on his back side on the hard McKenzie Field turf. O’Dell tried to get up and head off the field but fell back to the turf, grabbing his back.
He eventually made it to the sideline and threw his helmet down in frustration.
“Oh, man, that was a long game,” O’Dell said. “I bruised my tailbone on that one play. Then I got popped pretty good on another. I’m still feeling those hits a bit even now. But getting the win makes it feel a whole lot better.”

New heights for Seitz:
Prairie’s Colin Seitz keeps piling up touchdown passes. He had four more against Mountain View, giving him 13 for the season.
Mathieson was impressed with the Prairie senior.
“(Seitz) is a really good quarterback,” the Mountain View coach said. “Prairie was doing some good things. That number 80 (senior Jesse Zalk) is going to give a lot of teams fits.”
Mountain View did a good job containing the versatile Zalk, who had three catches for 74 yards and three carries for 24 yards. But that opened up opportunities for players such as Ansel Cecil (11 catches, 104 yards) and David Taylor (7 catches, 124 yards).

The Panthers — Yes, the Panthers — are one of three 3-0 teams in Clark County.

Perfect record, but not perfect:
At 3-0, the Washougal Panthers rightfully can be pleased with their start to the season.
But at times during Friday’s win over Fort Vancouver, they couldn’t get out of their own way.
Washougal was penalized 11 times for 115 yards. Among them were five 15-yard penalties for personal fouls or unsportsmanlike conduct.

Trappers hurt themselves, too:
Fort Vancouver was penalized four times. But one of those proved costly. It was an illegal block on a kickoff return that forced the Trappers to start a drive at their own 8-yard line. That led to a blocked punt for a safety and started a chain of events that eventually added up to a 48-21 win for Washougal.
When Washougal’s Sam O’Hara made a 37-yard field goal late in the third quarter, he easily had the distance on the kick. It seemed that might be the difference in a tight game before Washougal made several big plays.
One of those was the blocked punt in the end zone, a play that saw at least three Panthers in position to block the punt. 
Fort fell on the bouncing ball in the end zone for a safety.

Tigers rally — twice — to pick up second win of the season.

Staying focused:
After a scoreless first quarter, the Beavers struck first with a touchdown run.
The Tigers, though, came right back to take the lead.
Woodland again rebounded to score for a 12-7 advantage.
Boom, just like that, the Tigers were back in the end zone.
The Tigers said last year, the team probably would have fallen apart after falling behind twice. This year, the Tigers have two wins — or one more than last season.

Michael Knox returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown, and the rout was on. Tyson Wright rushed for 107 yards on 12 carries.

Stay strong, Spudders:
Ridgefield had a 34-0 lead at halftime and then a series of turnovers led to White Salmon’s lone touchdown of the game in the third quarter.
Despite cruising to the 41-7 victory, Ridgefield coach Matt Martin said his team needs to maintain its focus.
“We have better teams coming up, so we can’t expect to coast,” Ridgefield coach Matt Martin said.

Tim Martinez, Jeff Klein, Paul Danzer, and Kate Zot contributed to this report.

That’s it for Week 3. Next week, The Columbian’s game of the week will be a non-league clash between two defending league champs: Camas vs. Skyview.

Scroll to top