Clark County Commissioners get to the appointments
Clark County commissioners tentatively agreed last week on what board assignments they’ll have for the coming year.
Most of these appointments are to regional boards tackling topics such as the environment, economic concerns and intergovernmental cooperation. Commissioners David Madore, Tom Mielke and Steve Stuart attend these as official representatives of the county.
There are a few points of interest in the new appointments.
- Madore is assigned to the Columbia River Economic Development Council. But will the county even have a seat there? During the discussion on assignments at last week’s board time, Stuart said the county doesn’t need to worry about that any longer. When both Madore and Mielke acted surprised, Stuart reminded them that, because of them, the county is no longer an investor.
Madore said he would still like to be involved with the group to make sure it is being effectively managed, and asked how much money it would take to be an investor. County Administrator Bill Barron answered, “$100,000.”
- Mielke has 10 appointments. That’s way up from last year’s count of two. Stuart also has 10, and Madore has nine.
- Mielke will serve as the representative to the Washington State Association of Counties Board of Directors. He won’t be taking the role of WSAC president, the position former commissioner Marc Boldt was to hold this year. But while Clark County may not have the top spot at WSAC, there will be a Mielke in charge. Spokane County Commissioner Todd Mielke, Tom’s nephew, is the president for the year.
- Stuart is the Emergency Commissioner, a role requiring Stuart to report for duty if a natural disaster strikes.
- One appointment, the Local Health Boards Alliance, is still unassigned. County Administrator Bill Barron said that board is still in the startup phase so the county is waiting on an appointment at the moment.
- One board, the Southwest Washington Center for the Arts Board of Directors, has been dropped from the commissioner’s list of appointments.
Here is the full list:
Greater Vancouver Chamber of Commerce
Council for the Homeless
Workforce Development Council
Southwest Washington Council of Governments on Aging/Disabilities
Southwest Washington Behavioral Health (RSN) Governing Board
Columbia River Economic Development Council, board and executive committee
Urban County Policy Board
Southwest Washington Convention and Visitors Bureau
Endangered Species Act Lower Columbia Fish Recovery Board
Endangered Species Act Water Resource Inventory Area 27/28 Unit Board (WRIA)
North County Emergency Medical Services Board of Directors
Clark County Reserve Officer’s Relief and Pension Board
Washington State Association of Counties Board of Directors
Arthur D. Curtis Children’s Justice Center
Elder Justice Executive Board
Discovery Clean Water Alliance
Southwest Washington Clean Air Agency
Law Library Board of Trustees
Audit Oversight Committee
Law and Justice Council
Washington State Association of Counties Legislative Steering
Bi-State Coordination Committee
Portland State University Institute of Portland Metropolitan Studies Board
Metropolitan Policy Advisory Committee
Joint Policy Advisory Committee on Transportation
Regional Transportation Council
Clark Transit Agency (C-Tran)
Board of Health