Portland Timbers Communications email@example.com
5:10 PM (34 minutes ago)
For immediate release: July 23, 2012
Chris Metz (503) 553-5433, firstname.lastname@example.org
Marc Kostic (503) 553-5415, email@example.com
TIMBERS WEEKLY UPDATE: July 23, 2012
Tuesday’s friendly against EPL side Aston Villa opens two-game week for Timbers
PORTLAND, Ore. — The Portland Timbers return home to play host to a pair of matches this week at JELD-WEN Field. The Timbers welcome storied English Premier League side Aston Villa FC in an international friendly on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. (Pacific). Portland then faces Chivas USA on Military Appreciation Night, presented by FLIR, on Saturday at 8 p.m. (Pacific).
The exhibition against Aston Villa will be streamed live online at www.portlandtimbers.com. The matchup against Chivas USA will be televised live on ROOT SPORTS. Both matches will feature local radio broadcasts on 750 AM The Game and in Spanish on La Pantera 940 AM.
The Timbers Reserves continue their MLS Reserve League schedule Sunday as they play host to the Chivas USA Reserves at JELD-WEN Field at 2 p.m. (Pacific).
The friendly against Aston Villa and the league match against Chivas USA (6-8-5, 23pts) will conclude a stretch of five matches in 15 days for the Timbers (5-11-4, 19pts) and wraps up the club’s busiest month of the 2012 season.
The Rose City is the final stop on a three-city, preseason tour of the United States for EPL club Aston Villa. Under new manager Paul Lambert, Aston Villa recorded a 1-0 win over the Philadelphia Union and defeated the Chicago Fire 1-0 in its other preseason matches on the tour before making its way to Portland. A founding member of the Premier League in 1992, Aston Villa is the fifth-most decorated club in England, having won 19 major domestic honors in its history. With notable players in forward Darren Bent, goalkeeper Shay Given, midfielder Stephen Ireland and defender Richard Dunne, Aston Villa kicks off its 2012-13 EPL season on Aug. 18 at West Ham United.
The Timbers and Chivas USA meet for the second time in 11 days; Saturday will mark the third and final regular-season matchup between the two clubs. Chivas USA won both of the previous matchups against Portland this season, recently earning a 1-0 victory on July 18 at The Home Depot Center. Earlier this season, midfielder Ryan Smith sparked a comeback, 2-1 win for Chivas USA at JELD-WEN Field on April 7. Chivas USA leads the all-time MLS series against the Timbers with a record of 3-1-0, including a 1-1-0 mark in Portland.
TIMBERS GAME NOTES vs. ASTON VILLA
· Aston Villa is the Timbers’ second exhibition opponent this season. In May, the club welcomed accomplished Spanish side Valencia CF to JELD-WEN Field for an international friendly. Additionally, the Timbers played Swedish club AIK to the Rose City as part of a preseason tournament at JELD-WEN Field.
· While half a world apart, the Timbers and Aston Villa share some unique connections. During the Timbers’ NASL era, there were several players who played for both clubs during their careers, including standouts Willie Anderson, Brian Godfrey, Mick Hoban and Peter Withe. NASL Timbers head coach Vic Crowe also spent part of his playing and coaching career with Aston Villa.
· Aston Villa’s roster features two U.S. internationals in goalkeeper Brad Guzan, who began his career in MLS with Chivas USA from 2005-08, and 23-year old defender Eric Lichaj.
· Timbers forward Kris Boyd and Aston Villa defender Alan Hutton were teammates at Scottish side Rangers FC from 2006-08.
· Aston Villa striker Darren Bent is one of the EPL’s top goal-scorers over the past three seasons, totaling 50 goals in 96 league games since the 2009-10 season.
· The Timbers have played host to a number of EPL sides in the club’s recent history, including Sunderland (2005), Burnley (2009) and Manchester City (2010). Last season, the Timbers faced West Bromwich Albion in a friendly at a sold out JELD-WEN Field.
TIMBERS GAME NOTES vs. CHIVAS USA
· The Timbers and Chivas USA square off for the third time this season Saturday and for the fifth time in league play since Portland joined MLS in 2011.
· Portland has lost just one of its last seven league matches at JELD-WEN Field, posting a 4-1-2 record at home since April 21.
· The Timbers are 8-5-2 all-time as an MLS club at home against Western Conference opponents.
· The Timbers have sold out 27 consecutive home MLS matches at JELD-WEN Field.
· With his next goal, forward Kris Boyd will tie Kenny Cooper and Jack Jewsbury as the club’s all-time MLS goal-scorer with eight goals, and will also match the club’s MLS mark for goals in a single season (Cooper).
· Goalkeeper Troy Perkins is looking to make his 50th consecutive league start for the Timbers on Saturday against Chivas USA. His string of starts dates back to April 23, 2011.
· Midfielder Jack Jewsbury appeared in his 245th career MLS match on July 21 against FC Dallas. He is within reach of joining a list of 18 active MLS players with 250 or more career appearances.
· Timbers Homegrown Player Brent Richards made his second league appearance in the match against FC Dallas over the weekend.
MLS All-Stars take on Chelsea FC in 2012 AT&T MLS All-Star Game Wednesday
The MLS All-Stars will take on UEFA Champions League winner and English Premier League club, Chelsea FC, in the 2012 AT&T MLS All-Star Game on Wednesday at PPL Park in Chester, Pa., at 5:30 p.m. (Pacific), before a nationally televised audience on ESPN2 and TeleFutura and in Canada on TSN and RDS.
LA Galaxy stars David Beckham and Landon Donovan join New York Red Bulls standout Thierry Henry among the 18 MLS All-Stars led by D.C. United head coach Ben Olsen heading into the 2012 AT&T MLS-All-Star Game. The MLS All-Star roster also features prominent All-Star veterans such as Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake) and Dwayne De Rosario (D.C. United).
Timbers Reserves play host to Chivas USA Reserves Sunday at JELD-WEN Field
The Timbers Reserves continue their MLS Reserve League season on Sunday as they face the Chivas USA Reserves to JELD-WEN Field at 2 p.m. (Pacific).
Fans are invited to help “Axe Hunger” on Sunday with Providence Health & Services. A portion of the proceeds from tickets purchased through www.portlandtimbers.com/axe-hunger (promo code: AXE HUNGER) will benefit the Oregon Food Bank. Tickets may also be purchased at the JELD-WEN Field box office.
The Timbers Reserves and Chivas USA Reserves played to a 2-2 draw earlier this season at The Home Depot Center on June 18. Forwards Brent Richards and Sebastián Rincón scored for Portland.
With a record of 2-3-1 (7pts), the Timbers Reserves currently sit in fourth place in the MLS Reserve League’s West Division, but are just four points back of the Chivas USA Reserves in the division lead.
Goalkeeper Jake Gleeson set to open London 2012 Olympics Thursday
Timbers goalkeeper Jake Gleeson and New Zealand open group play in the London 2012 Olympics on Thursday against Belarus at City of Coventry Stadium on Day 1 of the highly anticipated Olympic games.
The match against Belarus is the first of three group matches for the “Oly Whites.” New Zealand will take on Egypt on Sunday, July 29, at famed soccer venue Old Trafford in its second group match. The team concludes group play against medal-favorite Brazil on Wednesday, Aug. 1, at St. James’ Park – home of the English Premier League’s Newcastle United.
Fans can follow Gleeson during his Olympic journey on Twitter at @Jgleeson20.
Club launches new Portland Timbers Food Cart Alliance
The Timbers have launched their new Portland Timbers Food Cart Alliance (PTFCA), a free, cross-promotion program designed to highlight the Rose City’s vibrant food cart culture. Through the PTFCA, select Portland-area food carts will have the opportunity to serve their food items on Timbers match days at JELD-WEN Field.
The PTFCA is free to join and is open to all interested Portland food cart operators. The alliance offers affiliated food carts joint social media and grass roots promotional opportunities as well as the chance to create official Timbers-themed signature food items. All PTFCA food carts will be featured on the Timbers website at www.PortlandTimbers.com as well as on the club’s Facebook page (www.facebook.com/PortlandTimbers). Additionally, all members of the PTFCA will receive materials to identify their membership and partnership with the Timbers. In return, PTFCA food carts will offer discounts to Timbers’ Axe Society members. More information on the PTFCA is available at www.portlandtimbers.com/ptfca.</p>
Portland Timbers U-23s season comes to an end in Western Conference semifinals
The Timbers U-23s’ 2012 Premier Development League season came to an end over the weekend, falling 1-0 in overtime to the Ventura County Fusion in the Western Conference semifinals. Second-half sub Victor Munoz scored the game-winning goal for the Fusion in the 93rd minute after the two sides played scoreless through regulation. Click here for a complete match report.
The Timbers U-23s assembled another successful season under head coach Jim Rilatt in 2012, reaching the Western Conference semifinals for the second time in three seasons. The team finished second in the Northwest Division with a regular-season record of 10-4-2 (32pts).
Timbers-inspired pizza now on sale at Papa Murphy’s
Now available at Papa Murphy’s stores in the Portland and Southwest Washington areas is the new Timbers-inspired creation, the Lumberjack Pizza. Created by Timbers fan Max Aguirre, the Lumberjack Pizza was chosen by a panel of judges, which included Timbers players Eric Alexander and Joe Bendik, from over 150 entries. Pick up a large for only $10 through Sept. 3.
The Lumberjack Pizza includes traditional Papa Murphy’s Original Crust, along with traditional red sauce and mozzarella cheese. Toppings include salami, pepperoni, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, marinated artichoke hearts and green peppers. The pizza is finished with a blend of grated provolone and cheddar cheeses.
TEAM MEDIA SOURCES
TV: “Timbers In 30”
The Timbers weekly television show, “Timbers In 30,” features exclusive, inside access to the club and airs each Friday at 6:30 p.m. on KPTV Fox 12. Moved to a new, Friday night time slot this season, “Timbers In 30” focuses on inside access to the inner-workings and personalities of the club and provides detailed team and game analysis with in-studio appearances from Timbers players and coaches each week.
Previously aired shows and “Timbers In 30” features can be found at www.portlandtimbers.com.</p>
Radio: “Talk Timbers”
The Timbers’ weekly radio talk show, “Talk Timbers,” presented by JELD-WEN Windows & Doors regularly airs each Tuesdays at 6 p.m. (Pacific) on 750 AM The Game. Hosted by John Strong, “Talk Timbers” features interviews with club officials, coaches, players and special guests. The show will provide team news and the latest information from around MLS during the 2012 season.
Due to the friendly against Aston Villa on Tuesday, this week’s show will air Wednesday.