Saturday recap: Locals all over Eastern Washington vs. Montana
I just got back from covering Oregon vs. UCLA. What’s the first thing I do? Of course, check out how Clark County players fared in college games on Saturday.
And what a day it was for local players, who had a huge impact on the game of the year so far in the Big Sky.
No. 3 FCS ranked Eastern Washington held off a late charge from No. 10 Montana to earn a huge win in Missoula, 42-37.
Heritage grad Ashton Clark (#15 in photo above) had six catches for 80 yards and two touchdowns. That included a 52-yard TD reception that put the Eagles up 35-17 with 4:28 to play in the third quarter.
Montana stormed back, though, largely thanks to big catches by Skyview grad Ellis Henderson. The Grizzlies’ leading receiver has two of his three touchdown catches in the fourth quarter as Montana nearly overcame a 25-point deficit. Henderson finished with eight catches for 147 yards. His 11 touchdown catches are tied for tops in the Big Sky.
In other notable contributions from local players:
– Steven Forgette (Heritage) and Ashton Miller (Evergreen) continued to anchor the line for an Eastern Washington offense that gained 540 yards.
– Addison Owen (Camas) had four tackles Saturday for Montana.
– Garrett Grayson (Heritage) quarterbacked Colorado State to its third win in four games. The junior was 15 of 26 for 177 yards and a touchdown as the Rams (4-4, 2-1) beat Hawaii 35-28.
– Portland State quarterback Kieran McDonagh (Skyview) rushed for a career-high 108 yards on 10 carries in a 14-10 win over North Dakota. The sophomore also completed 10 of 19 passes for 98 yards as Portland State snapped a three-game losing streak.
– Brandon Brody-Heim (Union) had three tackles for Portland State.
– Just another day of Dodge ball for Southern Oregon quarterback Austin Dodge (Skyview), who threw for 443 yards and seven touchdowns in a 51-16 win over Montana Western. The Raiders (5-2) are ranked No. 22 in the NAIA and Dodge has claimed two consecutive NAIA offensive player of the week awards.
– Jeremy Girod (Fort Vancouver) had three tackles and Ian Zarosinski (Skyview) had two for Linfield in a 84-7 win (that’s not a typo) over Lewis and Clark. Each had a tackle for loss.
– Jesse Zalk (Prairie) was held to three catches for 24 yards as Central Washington fell to Azusa Pacific 24-17.
– A few readers have asked about Southern Utah’s Zak Browning, a Union grad who as the Big Sky’s defensive freshman of the year last season. He sat out his fourth consecutive game Saturday with an injury.