Making more of less… AJ Baptiste
Making more of less… there has been discussion of late by a few about Baptiste.
- Simply stated – this is the time for veteran leadership and veteran role playing to help maximize taking three points and it isn’t about a starter like Baptiste under-performing and not starting; complete and utter bollocks.
- There is no question he has made significant leaps and strides this year in his development – and that experience (to include dissing Robbie Keane awhile ago) helps him build a portfolio as his career progresses. … That experience will help shape and mold his future progression in a (much hoped for) long career in professional football. And it might even mean he gets called upon again if another injury occurs.
- It should also be noted that Futty Danso is a very talented CB who is very good in the air – and Colorado were/are a ‘curved air’ team.
- If you’ve tracked previous articles by theaxepdx or myself you should know that. On the other hand LA is not really known for being an aerial attacking team – they like to possess and keep the ball on the ground – so as any head coach would do CP will evaluate his players strengths and weaknesses and come up with what he senses/feels/thinks is the best approach to try and take three points.
- This may include inserting AJB and it might not.
- Some other things to consider about the back-four.
- Through all this it would appear that some have forgotten David Horst and the strengths he brings to the team. His height, strength, leaping ability and passing strengths fit well in a possession based team. And his return is just as critical as Futty Danso’s.
- I offer this for one clear reason – when David was fully fit he was directly inserted into the line-up and paired alongside Mikael Silvestre when others were healthy; if not for his devestating injury it is likely he would still be starting.
- As noted in the CP interview and by other players this past week on the Timbers website (during interviews); there is a time for veteran leadership and presence on the pitch… for me I liken it to ‘pucker time’… those that have been around a bit more than others can simply fall back on ‘training’ and ‘game playing experience’ to level their game day approach and help to minimzie opportunities for mistakes…
- In my opinion the fact that AJB didn’t start the last game is being overamplified… and sensationalized.