SWEDISH MEATBALLS & MUSHROOM GRAVY atop a bed of SAUTEED BROCCOLI & CAULIFLOWER with GRILLED PINEAPPLE
A few weeks back, I bought a couple of Paleo cookbooks from New Seasons. I LOVE cookbooks – I could get lost in them for hours – so inspiring!! I thumbed through the pages of Paleo Indulgences and a Salisbury Steak recipe caught my eye. Served with gravy? WHa? How does one make a Paleo gravy? ?
Arrowroot starch, that’s how.
Since then, arrowroot has become my new best friend. A grain-free thickener used in sauces. Think of all the possibilities…..!!
I only had one thing on my mind – Mom’s Swedish Meatballs.
Into the kitchen I went, to put my own Paleo twist on one of my mom’s classics – Swedish Meatballs.
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. fennel seed
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 lbs. ground beef
2 lbs. ground pork sausage
4-6 TBSP coconut oil
2 cups Mushrooms, cut into ¼
Salt & Pepper
4 cups beef broth
1 cup canned coconut milk
2 TBSP coconut flour
2 TBSP Arrowroot Starch, adding a bit of water to create a liquid
2-3 cups broccoli, washed and chopped
1 head of cauliflower, washed and chopped
1) For the meatballs, add all ingredients in a large bowl and mix together with hands. YES, hands. Remember to remove all your jewels prior to squishing and squashing. Form into bite-sized meatballs and set aside.
2) In a large sauté pan over medium high heat, melt 1-2 TBSP coconut oil (per batch). Cook meatballs in batches, stirring frequently to brown evenly. The meatballs will be delicate at first, so gently scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen and flip. Set the cooked meatballs aside.
3) For the gravy, toss mushrooms into the same pan, season with salt & pepper and sauté 5 minutes. Add beef broth and coconut milk, bring to a boil. Turn heat down to a low simmer, sprinkle coconut flour and stir one minute. In a small bowl, add a smidge of cold water to the arrowroot starch, stir to liquid. Add to gravy and let simmer a minute more. Add meatballs to gravy, remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
4) Meanwhile, sauté broccoli & cauliflower in a large pan, with olive oil, over medium heat 5-7 minutes – season with salt and pepper.
5) Place sliced pineapple on a grill pan over medium heat 2-3 minutes each side.
6) To serve, place broccoli & cauliflower in a large bowl. Top with meatballs and mushroom gravy. Place pineapple off to one side of the bowl.
From my kitchen, to yours…. Enjoy!