VOTE: The Columbian’s Top-10 Football Plays from Week 2
Cast your vote for the top play of week 2 of the high school football season here.
This football season, The Columbian is doing something new. Each week, we will compile the best highlight clips from around Clark County and put the task of choosing the week’s top play up to the fans. Week 2 had no shortage of great plays.
Voting closes Wednesday morning, and the winner is announced later that day. Please send us any and all video highlights we may not have, or you feel as though we missed.
Here are the nominees:
• Prairie’s A.J. Dixson 43-yard touchdown run: The junior took a run up the middle and with the help of a key block, broke loose down the right sideline to beat two Washougal defenders into the end zone during the Falcons’ 28-21 win. Dixson finished with 153 yards rushing and 252 passing yards.
• Washougal’s Brevan Bea 68-yard interception for touchdown: The running back/linebacker read the quarterback, jumped a route and coasted 68 yards uncontested to put the Panthers up 14-7 in the second quarter.
• Skyview’s Mason Wheeler 82-yard kick return for touchdown: A few cuts, a couple blocks and a lot of green grass. Mason Wheeler kicked off Skyview’s lopsided win by returning a kickoff for touchdown, providing the Storm with a jolt of momentum to start the game. Wheeler finished with five catches for 51 yards and three total touchdowns.
• Prairie’s Zeke Dixon makes acrobatic one-handed catch: Call it an early catch of the year candidate. The junior, in one-on-one coverage, turned, leapt and in O’Dell Beckham fashion, reeled in the long ball with one hand for a 39-yard gain and sent the Prairie sideline into celebratory mayhem.
• Union’s Darien Chase 85-yard go-ahead kick return for touchdown: The final minute of the game. Down by two. Enter the most highly-touted recruit in Clark County. Chase, a senior, turned a kick return into the game’s deciding play as Union beat El Cerrito (Calif.) on the road.
• Skyview’s Ahmani Williams 22-yard interception return: River’s throw into a sea of white jerseys, for a moment, looked like it found the intended target. Until the ball bounced up and ended up in the hands of the Skyview junior, who hustled 22 yards before being taken down.
• Hockinson’s Wyatt Jones tip-toes for 19-yard touchdown: The Hawks junior receiver patches together an elusive run that included a stuff-arm and a hurdle. Jones finished with two catches for 25 yards in Hockinson’s 43-13 win over Archbishop Murphy.
• Isaac Hoidal 55-yard touchdown: The senior capped a monster game by receiving a screen pass and torching the opposing defense down the left sideline. Hoidal finished with seven catches for 169 yards and three total touchdowns in Stevenson’s 34-0 win over Corbett (Ore.).
• Heritage’s Kahai Umiamaka interception return for touchdown: All it took was a quick sidestep after swiping an errant throw for Umiamaka to find the open field. He returned the pick 31 yards for a score — he had three total — to lead the Timberwolves to a 38-28 win over Hudson’s Bay.
• Camas’ Blake Deringer 45-yard pick six: Right place, right time. The senior defensive back sat and intercepted an overthrown pass, then hauled 45 yards for the Papermakers’ final touchdown in a 52-0 win over Hazen.